Thursday, February 24, 2011

Number of the day

During our calender time each day, we work on showing the number day of the month many different ways. Usually we show it in ten frames, dot cubes, fingers, tally marks, tens and ones, number line, coins and ordinal number.  Now it's the kids turn to work on showing the number of the day themselves.  I just made this sheet for them to use.   I included a page of coins for them to cut out if they choose to use this as one of their ways.  We did this for the first time today on just plain paper but I thought this sheet may be more appealing for them and more organized.  On the back side I want them to show the number using equations: addition, subtraction or both! My hope is they will show flexible ways of thinking about numbers.  They have watched and worked with me all year on this and now it's time for them to begin doing it themselves.

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Do you use a similar looking page on your calendar as well? I am thinking of taking your chart, laminating it, and using vis-a-vis markers on it each day. Is that how you do it on your calendar? I would love to see a picture of your calendar board. I am always looking for ways to change it up. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. My calender doesn't really look like this page. If you send me your e-mail address I'll send you some pictures of what my calendar looks like.

    ReplyDelete