Saturday, February 12, 2011

Is It An Asking or a Telling Sentence?

My kids have a LOT of trouble knowing the difference between an asking sentence and a telling sentence.  How many of us ask the kids a question like," who has a cat?".  Then the hands go up and you proceed to get statements like, "my grandma's cat sleeps with her" or  "I saw a cat  today".  So, I thought this may help them start to think about the difference between the two.  They need to read the bunny sign and then decide which pile it goes in.  When they are finished they must (well, at least mine) write out some of the sentences and put the correct punctuation mark at the end.  This is a follow up to the "Is It a Sentence?" cards I made back in January.  Wow, that seems so long ago! Enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Sarah
    http://snippetsbysarah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We talk about this all of the time in my classroom! Great center! Thanks so much.....and it's super cute too!
    -Rachelle
    www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your activity and can't wait to do it with my students. Last week we created a interactive video with asking and telling sentences. You can see it on our class blog at http://ecafirstgrade.weebly.com/1/post/2011/04/interrogative-and-declarative.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog and I'm super excited to be one of your newest followers!

    Corinna

    ReplyDelete